Thursday: July 7, 2011
- James Spader to take over for Steve Carell for next season of The Office.
It's official: The employees of Dunder Mifflin are getting a new CEO and his name is Robert California. James Spader’s ultra-confident and sexually charged character featured briefly in the NBC hit’s May finale is set to join the cast of the show's upcoming eighth season, NBC confirmed. 'James will reprise his role as Robert California, this uber-salesman that has a power to convince and manipulate, like a high-class weirdo Jedi warrior,' said Paul Lieberstein, one of the series executive producers and a series regular.
Wednesday: May 12, 2010
- A handy tutorial on how to make your very own vinyl record bookends.
Another awesome quick four-step tutorial from the fine folks over at Instructables. Simply boil up some of your old vinyl records and bend them, mold them, shape them into retro bookends. Really, when you were going to listen to those old polka albums anyway?
Tuesday: May 11, 2010
- Fifteen things about Star Trek that you may not have previously known about.
I had no idea that a) the main tag line of Star Trek (to boldy go, yadda yadda) was lifted from a White House pamphlet on space exploration and b) the entire sentence is grammatically incorrect. Lets hear it for split infinitives!
Monday: May 10, 2010
- A handy tutorial regarding how to build your very own coffee cup sphere lamp.
Got a couple hundred coffee cups laying around? Put them too good use and make yourself a new lamp. Judging by the comments on the Instructables page, you'll be quite happy with the results.
Tuesday: April 20, 2010
- A handy Photoshop tutorial regarding how to create your very own realistic paper textures.
Not sure just what version of Photoshop you'll need to pull this off but you can probably find multiple methods in earlier versions should you be so inclinded to do so. Quick note, the best use of digital paper design on a blog goes to Panic.
Thursday: April 15, 2010
- Twenty-one awesome and unique playgrounds for your child-like enjoyment.
I'm not sure that I'd actually take let my kids run amok on some of these locales but speaking as an adult, I'd be all over these in a heartbeat. Unnecessary slides at ridiculous heights! Whee!
- Fifty incredible works of coffee and latte art for your viewing pleasure.
My cup of coffee is looking downright boring after seeing some of the offerings in this collection but caffeine is caffeine and it certainly gets the job done regardless of artistic merit. For those interested in making their very own coffee art a tutorial is just waiting for you around the corner.
Monday: April 12, 2010
- Eleven recordings of terrible hold music for your listening pleasure.
Ever been stuck on the phone waiting customer service of some kind? Chances are that you've probably heard some of these musical disasters. There are some exceptions to the hold call rule. Some of the trendier companies here in NYC play classic Nintendo (8-bit and all) music whilst holding. Instant win.
Tuesday: March 30, 2010
- A handy tutorial on how to build your very own R2-D2 lamp for under ten bucks.
Yes, with a little cutting, pin-striping, and some paneling you too can have a R2-D2 lamp for your home of office. Bonus points if you can have it make his signature chirping noise when you actually turn said lamp on.
- Fifteen things about The Simpsons you may not have previously known about.
I had no idea that every Simpsons family member's middle name started with the letter J. Also it's nice to see that 'D'oh' is officially part of our English dictionary. Have you pulled a Homer today?
Friday: March 19, 2010
- A collection of tutorials on how to make a variety of different money origami.
Yes, you really can make anything from a dollar bill heart to a dollar bill t-shirt. My personal favorite is the dollar bill wallet. The sheer logic of putting money in something that is already made of money makes me dizzy.
Thursday: March 4, 2010
- Twelve very creative home wallpapers for your viewing pleasure.
If pixelated wallpaper isn't your thing there are ton of other interesting designs listed over on the other side of the click. The color palette/wallpaper idea sounds like a fun weekend project as Home Depot sure doesn't seem to mind the taking of those free swatch colors (you may need multiple trips to get away with it though).
Tuesday: March 2, 2010
- Nine cool home aquariums that you may not have previously known about.
No home is truly complete unless you have an aquarium sink. For some reason I have the stange urge to watch old episodes of Pee-wee's Playhouse after looking at some of these aquariums. Not sure why.
Wednesday: February 17, 2010
- Ten of the world's most amazing natural arches for your viewing pleasure.
The Sahara Desert abounds with natural arches and stone bridges. Aloba Arch may be one of the best known but the above bipod arch in Algeria is worth special mention due to its unusual beauty and exquisite fragility.
Wednesday: February 10, 2010
- Twenty-one unbelievable photos of Mars for your Martian viewing pleasure.
Behold the wondrous splendor of Martian landscapes in all their strange atmospheric glory. After viewing these photographs I have a strange desire to go watch Total Recall. Two weeks!