GeekLikeMe.net

GeekLikeMe

(home)
Insert quarter. Avoid Klingons.
Collected web clippings, ramblings, and scribblings from me to you.

Monday: September 28, 2009

Want to know which ten states get the most spam?Want to know which ten states get the most spam?

'Interestingly, the top three most spammed states were among the 10 least spammed states in 2008,' the company said in the report.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Security @ 7:40 AM | Tags (7) | spam | email | security | interwebs | internet | junk | states |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 12 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Tuesday: September 15, 2009

Recent iPhone security fix reveals Microsoft Exchange security flaw.Recent iPhone security fix reveals Microsoft Exchange security flaw.

Thousands of users have been accessing e-mail, calendars, and contacts over Exchange connections through their iPhones or iPod Touches, not knowing they were compromising their corporate security.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Apple @ 10:12 AM | Tags (9) | calendars | contacts | email | exchange | iphone | ipodtouch | it | secure | security |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 47 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Friday: September 11, 2009

Some alternative ways to access your GMail when GMail happens to be down.Some alternative ways to access your GMail when GMail happens to be down.

A great writeup for those of us who use GMail quite extensively and cried during the last outage.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Google @ 7:56 AM | Tags (8) | gmail | outage | alternative | methods | mail | email | google | lifehacker |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 43 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Thursday: July 30, 2009

Want to avoid ads in your Gmail account? Try a little tragedy.Want to avoid ads in your Gmail account? Try a little tragedy.

Neat little trick, although obviously it might be a tad dark for some people.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Gadgets @ 3:33 PM | Tags (5) | ads | annoying | gmail | google | tragedy |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 88 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Fourteen tips and tricks to get more out of your beloved Gmail account.Fourteen tips and tricks to get more out of your beloved Gmail account.

A nice collection of tips ranging from offline reading to setting up multiple signatures.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Google @ 7:51 AM | Tags (5) | email | gmail | google | tips | tricks |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 33 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Friday: July 10, 2009

State of New York suing social-networking site for spamming sixty million people.State of New York suing social-networking site for spamming sixty million people.

Tagged, which has been around for five years, would then illegally get access to those new users' e-mail address books and send out more messages without those users' knowledge. Tagged will be sued for deceptive e-mail marketing practices and invasion of privacy, the office said.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Interwebs @ 2:10 PM | Tags (9) | email | fraud | lawsuit | networking | newyork | privacy | security | social | spam |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 7 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Tuesday: July 7, 2009

Your favorite Google Apps are no longer in beta as of today.Your favorite Google Apps are no longer in beta as of today.

And it only took five years!

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Google @ 1:00 PM | Tags (3) | apps | beta | gmail |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 16 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Thursday: June 25, 2009

Your HTML emails may look quite terrible in the next version of Outlook.Your HTML emails may look quite terrible in the next version of Outlook.

As if it wasn't bad enough already.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Technology @ 7:37 AM | Tags (3) | emails | outlook | rendering |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 31 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Wednesday: June 24, 2009

Some handy GMail tips you may not have previously known about.Some handy GMail tips you may not have previously known about.

Yes, you too can become a GMail ninja. Very cute, Google.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Google @ 7:22 AM | Tags (3) | gmail | tips | ninja |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 59 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Thursday: June 18, 2009

A handy tutorial on how to improve your email etiquette.A handy tutorial on how to improve your email etiquette.

A good refresher for those of us in the corporate environment.

Posted to Weekdaily filed in Tutorial @ 5:00 PM | Tags (3) | email | etiquette | tutorial |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 66 Clicks | Posted by Vin

Wednesday: September 6, 2006

The seven deadly sins of corporate email.

Many of us work in a corporate environment. My job falters between information technology and marketing (such is the fate of the web developer these days). As such, I am often bombarded with the annoying email habits of people who lack the basic understanding of...well, email.

  1. People who set an away email message for every single meaningless event.

    I do not need to know that you are out to lunch at from 12:15 to 1:15. Most people know that it is lunch time and chances are you're not around. Do not bother me with your personal digital answering machine. Really, it's not necessary. I also don't need to know that from 3:30 - 4:00 pm you will be getting your teeth cleaned. This does not influence my day to day operations one bit. Stop it; you're making Outlook cry.

  2. People who can't remember to turn their away message off when they are, in fact, no longer away.

    So you're back from vacation, yay. I'm quite happy for you. Now turn off your away message that keeps responding to me in stereo with your normal emails. I don't need dual responses every time I reply to one of your emails reminding me that you were gone fishing last week. How was the dentist by the way?

  3. People who write the entire message of an email in the subject line.

    You'd think telling the difference between two distinct areas when composing an email would be an easy thing. I can't tell you how much fun it is deciphering an email when it is sprawled across the subject line (see 'before and after' below).

  4. Read receipts.

    This habit makes me want to throw a chair out of a window. It is the act of people who feel they have to attach a read receipt to EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF EMAIL they send out - no matter how trivial the subject matter. I guess it makes people feel important. Therefore, I take great pleasure in hitting the cancel button to your paranoid sense of self confirmation. Even more annoying: people who send read receipts on emails regarding whether or not the last email they sent (which had a read receipt too) was actually read. Pure genius!

  5. People who love to respond to emails marked distinctly as DO NOT REPLY.

    When the subject line AND the first line of the body of the email read in big, bold letters DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL why do you still hit Reply? Let's try this together: D-O N-O-T R-E-P-L-Y.

  6. Incredibly overloaded signatures.

    It's not enough that I have to see the scribbled signature of the person who sent me the email, but they also insist on changing the entire style of the email. So when I reply to you, I am stuck with your ugly, yet 'calming' wallpaper. Please fire yourself out of a cannon.

  7. Pasting entire web pages into the body of an email.

    Another act that greatly affects my day to day mood: receiving an email that has an entire (or partial) web page pasted into the body of the message. Outlook is not meant to show web pages (this is why we have web browsers), and by doing so, you are now disrupting the natural order of the Universe. By replying to you (and if I'm too lazy to clean out said pasted web page), we start tracking in piles of HTML code throughout our conversation like mud. Clean your feet and just email me the link to the article, dummy.

And there you have it. Now print this list out and pin it up by the company water cooler. The email-challenged will thank you... hopefully.

Posted to Verbose filed in Life @ 0:51 AM | Tags (3) | corporate | work | email |  | Discuss (0) |  | facebook | twitter | 0 Clicks | Posted by Vin