Monday: January 7, 2013
- Apple would like you to know that they've had over 40 billion downloads from their app store.
That's a lot of downloads. Apparently half of that number was just in 2012 alone.
Friday: July 29, 2011
- Apple has more cash on hand than the United States government.
Apple's last earnings report (PDF here) showed that the company had $76.2 billion in cash and marketable securities at the end of June. In other words, the world's largest tech company has more cash than the world's largest sovereign government. That's because Apple collects more money than it spends, while the U.S. government does not.
Friday: February 12, 2010
- Apple holding countdown contest for ten billionth iTunes song download.
The winner of the countdown--the person that downloads the 10 billionth song--will win a $10,000 gift card. You can download any song from iTunes and be eligible for the prize, the company said.
Monday: February 8, 2010
- Google will probably make over a billion via online advertising this year.
In display advertising, Google lags behind Yahoo!, which had revenue of $6.5 billion in 2009 that was generated largely from its display ads. Google has tried to catch up in part through acquisitions. Two of the biggest were aimed at the display ad market.
Tuesday: December 29, 2009
- Avatar flick still doing pretty well for James Cameron and company.
The film has raked in a whopping $232 billion thus far. Source website seems to think that Avatar is well on it's way to reaching the likes of Star Wars ($460.9 million) and maybe even Cameron's own Titantic ($1.8 billion). Not sure how you can equate $232 million to $1.8 billion that quickly though.
Monday: November 16, 2009
- IBM now offering cloud computing services too.
IBM, the world's biggest technology services company, has lagged behind younger companies in rolling out cloud services. But it is still early days for the cloud industry, which Gartner Research estimates will ring up sales of about $3.4 billion this year.
Friday: October 9, 2009
- YouTube would like you to know that they now get a billion views per day.
Congrats to YouTube on their continued Internet meme machine success. May there be many more keyboard cats and unintentional rickrolls yet to come.
Monday: September 28, 2009
- Apple pleased to announce that the App Store has surpassed two billion downloads.
The rate of App Store downloads continues to accelerate with users downloading a staggering two billion apps in just over a year, including more than half a billion apps this quarter alone,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO.