Monday: August 15, 2011
- Ten games that take minutes to learn and a lifetime to master.
While chess is often thought of as a mathematical game, experts say the real contest is often a psychological one, in which players scrutinize one another for subtle cues and tendencies that predict behavior and reveal weaknesses. As Soviet chess trainer Mark Dvoretsky once noted: 'The opponent makes an apparently innocent move, but for some reason or another, he rouses our vigilance and promptly we discover the cunning that is concealed.'
Tuesday: May 11, 2010
- Fifteen things about Star Trek that you may not have previously known about.
I had no idea that a) the main tag line of Star Trek (to boldy go, yadda yadda) was lifted from a White House pamphlet on space exploration and b) the entire sentence is grammatically incorrect. Lets hear it for split infinitives!
Monday: May 10, 2010
- Seven simple and useful command line tips just for you.
Ever had a hankering to dive into some Terminal-related tasks? This post serves as a good guide (or refresher for some of us) for those looking to get back into some command-line action. Go ahead, have a bash.
Tuesday: April 13, 2010
- Forty awesome Batman wallpapers to adorn your currently non-batty desktop.
Are you a big fan of the Dark Knight ? Know almost every line to every Batman movie both modern and classic? Wait a minute, where are all the retro-style Batman desktops? Oh well, Google image search to the rescue.
Friday: March 26, 2010
- Twenty geeky gadgets for growing plants indoors.
Yes, it's quite possible (with a little soldering) to see how your plants are doing by way of their personal Twitter updates. Through those updates you'll know if your beloved plants require water and/or more sunlight all through Twitter. In other news, your plants are on Twitter.
Thursday: March 25, 2010
- Looking for a coat hanger that shows off your geek cred? Look no further.
Yet another lovely albeit slightly nerdy addition to any home or office which also happens to be great blend of form and function all at once. These pixelated hanger will set you back just twenty bucks each.
Tuesday: March 9, 2010
- A handy tutorial regarding how to build your very own micro-processor chess set.
Got some old computer parts laying around? If so, crack it open and start getting to work on this tutorial. You'll have on unique looking chess set as a result and a cool desk ornament/decoration as well.
Tuesday: March 2, 2010
- Ten of the geekiest ties for your viewing pleasure.
Fellow nerds in the workplace: I urge you to get out there and wear your geek pride proudly to work in tie-form. You make us all proud. Bonus points to anyone who rocks the eight-bit tie (a personal favorite of mine).
Monday: March 1, 2010
- Ten creative and geeky hoodie designs for your viewing pleasure.
I added 'geeky' to the headline mostly because all of these hoodies are of the Star Wars, comic book or video game variety (not that there's anything wrong with that; I just felt it had to be clarified). Source link also contains purchase links for those who are so inclined. By the way, that R2-D2 hoodie will set you back $92 bucks.
Thursday: February 25, 2010
- Show off your geek cred proudly with some merit badges of the nerd variety.
I can see that I qualify for at least three (maybe four) of these merit badges right off the bat but I guess thats to be expected when one owns and operates a site called 'GeekLikeMe'. Fly the proud dork.
Monday: February 1, 2010
- Sixty-four things that every geek should probably know about.
Covers a variety of geeky items and topics you can use in everyday settings. Of course, these topics are ideal for settings such as identifying a keylogger, surviving a Linux argument, and even hotwiring a car.
Friday: January 8, 2010
- Find out just how well you know your cable connectors with this handy quiz.
It seems that I've done enough under and over the desk wiring in my life to warrant the 100% grade I just received on this quiz. I am a very proud man today.
Thursday: January 7, 2010
- One hundred quotes that every geek should probably know.
As a geek these quotes are pretty much the standard beginning set of quotes you need to memorize if you wish to actually be labeled as such. Also, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Tuesday: January 5, 2010
- Meet the brand new world chess champion, a nineteen year old from Norway.
He's already got a clever nickname, 'Mozart of Chess', and he has no interest in becoming the next Bobby Fisher (in the sense that Bobby Fisher went a little crazy and then disappeared).
Friday: December 11, 2009
- Fourteen unusual Christmas ornaments for you to gawk at.
Nothing screams Christmas like having not one, but two Star Trek ornaments adorn your beloved tree. Captian Kirk, this is Spock, please step in the transporter.